As anyone with an Internet connection and even a passing interest in dope hip-hop knows, lately Emilio Rojas has been putting out new material like Tyler Perry puts out Medea sequels. Did that make sense? Either way, instead of tearing apart my questionable analogy choices let’s focus on the new music, namely Emilio’s new mixtape standout On My Own. Like much of his recent work, On’s production takes a darker turn as beatsmith WillPower juxtaposes a lighter piano line with crunching bass and snapping percussion (this sound like old school Outkast to anyone else?). In between some typically untypical vocals from SPEAKHER singer Nikkya, Emilio takes on the common man’s struggle. Or to be more specific, the common man’s struggle to overcome the common man’s haters: “My life is a movie, you got no part in it / I’m in parties that only stars enter.” If you’re liking On My Own then you’re going to love Rojas’ upcoming mixtape, Breaking Point, presented by BBC Ice Cream, hosted by DJ Green Lantern and set to drop “soon,” which is code for “we don’t know, we’ll tell you when we figure it out.”
Written by Nathan S. on 09/7/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Vibe Wit Me ft. Emilio Rojas" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.