Ah, dysfunctional relationships. They’re the best. (Except for, you know, functional relationships.) As anyone who’s been following Emilio Rojas’ music knows, the DJBooth Freestyle alum tends to have, shall we say “complicated”, relationships with the ladies, but new single Close to Me might just be his most heartbroken yet. Producer Midnite sets the tone with a piano-driven, live percussion beat that Rojas uses to lace more of the deeply personal flows that have earned him such a loyal following: “[these] hurdles are impossible to walk around, and you’ve been searching through my phone like it’s a lost and found.” Most notably, Emilio throws in the first sung hook I can ever remember hearing from him, and does so more than well enough to stay off my ever growing Rappers Who Really Need to Stop Singing list (cough 50 Cent cough). Well done sir, well done. Fans looking to get closer to Emilio can download his recently released and intriguingly titled mixtape, Life Without Shame, right here and should check out the trailer for his Close to Me video, coming soon.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/9/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Vibe Wit Me ft. Emilio Rojas" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.