Ah, dysfunctional relationships. They’re the best. (Except for, you know, functional relationships.) As anyone who’s been following Emilio Rojas’ music knows, the DJBooth Freestyle alum tends to have, shall we say “complicated”, relationships with the ladies, but new single Close to Me might just be his most heartbroken yet. Producer Midnite sets the tone with a piano-driven, live percussion beat that Rojas uses to lace more of the deeply personal flows that have earned him such a loyal following: “[these] hurdles are impossible to walk around, and you’ve been searching through my phone like it’s a lost and found.” Most notably, Emilio throws in the first sung hook I can ever remember hearing from him, and does so more than well enough to stay off my ever growing Rappers Who Really Need to Stop Singing list (cough 50 Cent cough). Well done sir, well done. Fans looking to get closer to Emilio can download his recently released and intriguingly titled mixtape, Life Without Shame, right here and should check out the trailer for his Close to Me video, coming soon.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Vibe Wit Me ft. Emilio Rojas" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.