Far from crashing and burning in the Booth, Emerson Brooks’ last feature, late-January EP single MAYDAY, earned rave reviews on our pages, with readers reserving especially high praise for the artist’s silky, seemingly effortless vocal stylings. (The record is currently #7 on our Top R&B/Pop Chart.) Today, the T-Dot singer/songwriter puts his golden voice to the test with some more emotionally demanding material. This freshly-released cover version of Rihanna‘s Stay (featured earlier this week along with its official visuals), sees Brooks doing double-duty on the mic and behind the boards, reinterpreting the record’s bittersweet lyrics over his and Alex Isaacs’ expanded rendition of Mikky Ekko, Justin Parker and Elof Loelv‘s original boardwork. Has the artist succeeded in doing justice to the Unapologetic standout? That, my friends, is for you to decide. This cover is just a promo single, but fan can keep it locked for all the latest on Emerson Brooks’ forthcoming, as yet-unscheduled Purple EP.
Written by richard on 02/14/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.