Is life a b*tch, as Nas told us on my favorite track off Illmatic? Or is it, as Aesop Rock retorted in Daylight, a beautiful woman? Personally, I haven’t quite made up my mind. As for ELMNT, he’s not taking any chances; as he puts it on his latest LP leak, making its world premiere right here on our front page, “If life’s a b*tch, I hope she Catch Me Last.” DJ Bombay nails it on the production tip, flipping a piano sample strongly reminiscent of Norah Jones ’ Don’t Know Why (Anyone confirm or deny?) into a warm, nostalgia-drenched backdrop for bars tracing the path the T-Dot repper’s life has taken to date. Looking back with amusement on a day when all he did was “focus on hoes and chase head,” ELMNT notes how drastically his priorities have changed; now, he’d much rather be, “rocking arenas, raking in the cash.” Does this smooth, introspective selection leave you craving more? ELMNT’s latest full-length, We Don’t Belong Here, is scheduled for release in May, followed by a digital EP with beatsmith Dorian Gray in early June.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!