One of the beautiful things about music in the digital age is that the walls that existed between genres are crumbling more by the day. In 2012 it’s not uncommon to hear a dubstep record featuring an indie rock sample with a hip-hop guest feature. Case in point, Ellie Goulding’s new release Hanging On. For Hanging On, Goulding, a darling of the indie pop/rock scene who’s become a favorite sample source for more progressive hip-hop producers, covers Active Child’s single of the same name, giving the original production a more electronically heavy and pounding feel. It’s a perfect contrast to Ellie’s soaring and often haunting vocals, but as if the layers here weren’t already complex enough, she then recruits UK rap superstar and Happy Birthday creator Tinie Tempah to deliver a guest verse that’s often blunt where the rest of the track is complex. While Hanging On was created solely for the sake of making some genre-crushing music, those intrigued to find out what else Ellie has in store can check out her Lights album, available now, and keep an ear out for her upcoming and currently unscheduled Bright Lights release.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Under the Sheets (Remix)" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.