Earlier this month, Elle Varner lit the fuse on her sophomore set with Cold Case, a pre-release promo cut whose eclectic, hip hop-infused sound earned it rave reviews from our readership. While freshly-minted follow-up See Me Tonight has a more organic sound than its largely synth-based predecessor, it shares that joint’s experimental spirit. Pop & Oak reprise their role behind the boards, building from a slinky, syncopated jazz arrangement to a propulsive, breakbeat-driven groove as the singer/songwriter vents her fury at a disloyal man. Subtle vocal samples and occasional record scratches enhance the record’s unpredictable vibe. 4 Letter Word has yet to receive a drop date from the RCA Records brass but, as always, fans can keep it locked for the latest singles and release details.
Written by richard on 03/25/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Only Wanna Give It To You" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)