Earlier this month, Elle Varner lit the fuse on her sophomore set with Cold Case, a pre-release promo cut whose eclectic, hip hop-infused sound earned it rave reviews from our readership. While freshly-minted follow-up See Me Tonight has a more organic sound than its largely synth-based predecessor, it shares that joint’s experimental spirit. Pop & Oak reprise their role behind the boards, building from a slinky, syncopated jazz arrangement to a propulsive, breakbeat-driven groove as the singer/songwriter vents her fury at a disloyal man. Subtle vocal samples and occasional record scratches enhance the record’s unpredictable vibe. 4 Letter Word has yet to receive a drop date from the RCA Records brass but, as always, fans can keep it locked for the latest singles and release details.
Written by richard on 03/25/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Only Wanna Give It To You" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kendrick Lamar - i
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.