It’s been more than a decade since Mary J. Blige and Method Man recorded All I Need Is You, a track that has to be the definitive “girl I’m a player, but I might just settle down for you” love song of our time. Whether she knows it or not, Booth newcomer Elle Varner is carrying on that proud tradition today with her new single Only Want to Give It To You. Over a heavily ‘90s influenced beat by Oak & Pop (Pop Wansel & Oak Felder), Varner puts her distinctly unique voice on full display, laying down charismatic vocals declaring that she loves her man even more than her shoes – and from what I hear she really, really loves shoes. Playing the Method Man role here is J. Cole, which gives a shout out to All I Need is the opening line of his verse and goes on to admit that he might just be ready for some serious monogamy – no Snuggie though. If you’re digging this fresh take on classic R&B you’re in luck. We’ll undoubtedly be hearing more from Varner as she prepares to drop her J Records debut, Perfectly Imperfect, this December.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/4/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.