It’s been more than a decade since Mary J. Blige and Method Man recorded All I Need Is You, a track that has to be the definitive “girl I’m a player, but I might just settle down for you” love song of our time. Whether she knows it or not, Booth newcomer Elle Varner is carrying on that proud tradition today with her new single Only Want to Give It To You. Over a heavily ‘90s influenced beat by Oak & Pop (Pop Wansel & Oak Felder), Varner puts her distinctly unique voice on full display, laying down charismatic vocals declaring that she loves her man even more than her shoes – and from what I hear she really, really loves shoes. Playing the Method Man role here is J. Cole, which gives a shout out to All I Need is the opening line of his verse and goes on to admit that he might just be ready for some serious monogamy – no Snuggie though. If you’re digging this fresh take on classic R&B you’re in luck. We’ll undoubtedly be hearing more from Varner as she prepares to drop her J Records debut, Perfectly Imperfect, this December.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/4/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.