It’s been more than a decade since Mary J. Blige and Method Man recorded All I Need Is You, a track that has to be the definitive “girl I’m a player, but I might just settle down for you” love song of our time. Whether she knows it or not, Booth newcomer Elle Varner is carrying on that proud tradition today with her new single Only Want to Give It To You. Over a heavily ‘90s influenced beat by Oak & Pop (Pop Wansel & Oak Felder), Varner puts her distinctly unique voice on full display, laying down charismatic vocals declaring that she loves her man even more than her shoes – and from what I hear she really, really loves shoes. Playing the Method Man role here is J. Cole, which gives a shout out to All I Need is the opening line of his verse and goes on to admit that he might just be ready for some serious monogamy – no Snuggie though. If you’re digging this fresh take on classic R&B you’re in luck. We’ll undoubtedly be hearing more from Varner as she prepares to drop her J Records debut, Perfectly Imperfect, this December.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/4/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)