If there’s a smile on Elle Varner‘s face, it’s only there tryin’ to fool the public. But when it comes down to fooling her fans, now that’s quite a different subject. As you may have surmised from my paraphrase of Smokey Robinson and the Miracles’ Tears of a Clown, the RCA Records R&B songstress’s glad expression is hiding the pain of heartbreak. On new single Little Do You Know, she comes clean with listeners, giving vent to her pent-up emotions regarding a past relationship. Though this joint is a ballad at heart, frequent Varner collaborators Pop & Oak‘s beat begins with a simple, hip-hop informed bassline and percussion rhythm. They expand the arrangement only gradually, building to an emotionally raw, string-drenched climax. Fans will be able to find this powerful jam, along with promo singles Cold Case and See Me Tonight, on Elle’s sophomore set, 4 Letter Word. Keep it locked to our pages for further details on the project, which as yet lacks a drop date.
Written by richard on 04/10/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Only Wanna Give It To You" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.