Elle Varner’s previous work in The DJBooth, from her debut Only Wanna Give It To You to her most recent offering Soundproof Room, had prompted listeners to compare the newcomer to some of R&B’s established heavyweights, so while there’s no apparent direct correlation between Elle’s new Feel Like a Woman and Mary J. Blige’s jam of the same name, I can’t help but think of Varner’s choice in title as a subconscious confirmation of her aspirations. Producer Bei Maejor gives Woman a distinctly island vibe, pairing a circling guitar line with snapping percussion and…is that a steel drum I hear? Maejor also throws in a solid if predictable verse, but it’s really Elle’s emotional (but not overly emotional) vocal delivery that drives the song as she lets her man know just how good he makes her feel. See ladies, we don’t mess up all the time. Those who agree that Varner’s trajectory will have her joining R&B’s elite ranks in the future should be sure to cop her recently released Conversational Lush mixtape, available across the interwebs now.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/24/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Only Wanna Give It To You" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.