Elle Varner’s previous work in The DJBooth, from her debut Only Wanna Give It To You to her most recent offering Soundproof Room, had prompted listeners to compare the newcomer to some of R&B’s established heavyweights, so while there’s no apparent direct correlation between Elle’s new Feel Like a Woman and Mary J. Blige’s jam of the same name, I can’t help but think of Varner’s choice in title as a subconscious confirmation of her aspirations. Producer Bei Maejor gives Woman a distinctly island vibe, pairing a circling guitar line with snapping percussion and…is that a steel drum I hear? Maejor also throws in a solid if predictable verse, but it’s really Elle’s emotional (but not overly emotional) vocal delivery that drives the song as she lets her man know just how good he makes her feel. See ladies, we don’t mess up all the time. Those who agree that Varner’s trajectory will have her joining R&B’s elite ranks in the future should be sure to cop her recently released Conversational Lush mixtape, available across the interwebs now.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/24/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Only Wanna Give It To You" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.