Elle Varner’s previous work in The DJBooth, from her debut Only Wanna Give It To You to her most recent offering Soundproof Room, had prompted listeners to compare the newcomer to some of R&B’s established heavyweights, so while there’s no apparent direct correlation between Elle’s new Feel Like a Woman and Mary J. Blige’s jam of the same name, I can’t help but think of Varner’s choice in title as a subconscious confirmation of her aspirations. Producer Bei Maejor gives Woman a distinctly island vibe, pairing a circling guitar line with snapping percussion and…is that a steel drum I hear? Maejor also throws in a solid if predictable verse, but it’s really Elle’s emotional (but not overly emotional) vocal delivery that drives the song as she lets her man know just how good he makes her feel. See ladies, we don’t mess up all the time. Those who agree that Varner’s trajectory will have her joining R&B’s elite ranks in the future should be sure to cop her recently released Conversational Lush mixtape, available across the interwebs now.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/24/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Only Wanna Give It To You" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.