Elle Varner’s previous work in The DJBooth, from her debut Only Wanna Give It To You to her most recent offering Soundproof Room, had prompted listeners to compare the newcomer to some of R&B’s established heavyweights, so while there’s no apparent direct correlation between Elle’s new Feel Like a Woman and Mary J. Blige’s jam of the same name, I can’t help but think of Varner’s choice in title as a subconscious confirmation of her aspirations. Producer Bei Maejor gives Woman a distinctly island vibe, pairing a circling guitar line with snapping percussion and…is that a steel drum I hear? Maejor also throws in a solid if predictable verse, but it’s really Elle’s emotional (but not overly emotional) vocal delivery that drives the song as she lets her man know just how good he makes her feel. See ladies, we don’t mess up all the time. Those who agree that Varner’s trajectory will have her joining R&B’s elite ranks in the future should be sure to cop her recently released Conversational Lush mixtape, available across the interwebs now.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Only Wanna Give It To You" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.