Elle Varner’s previous work in The DJBooth, from her debut Only Wanna Give It To You to her most recent offering Soundproof Room, had prompted listeners to compare the newcomer to some of R&B’s established heavyweights, so while there’s no apparent direct correlation between Elle’s new Feel Like a Woman and Mary J. Blige’s jam of the same name, I can’t help but think of Varner’s choice in title as a subconscious confirmation of her aspirations. Producer Bei Maejor gives Woman a distinctly island vibe, pairing a circling guitar line with snapping percussion and…is that a steel drum I hear? Maejor also throws in a solid if predictable verse, but it’s really Elle’s emotional (but not overly emotional) vocal delivery that drives the song as she lets her man know just how good he makes her feel. See ladies, we don’t mess up all the time. Those who agree that Varner’s trajectory will have her joining R&B’s elite ranks in the future should be sure to cop her recently released Conversational Lush mixtape, available across the interwebs now.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/24/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Only Wanna Give It To You" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.