Currently, Kid Ink is RCA‘s busiest urban artist, but that doesn’t mean the label is a one-trick pony. Ink’s fellow RCA-er (who appeared on his December feature, No Miracles), Elle Varner, looks like she may be the next to step into the label limelight. Cold Case is only a promo single, but after hearing the track (and that she is hard at work her sophomore album, Four Letter Word) it’s hard not to be excited for her near future. Setting the stage on Cold Case, Pop & Oak create an elaborate hybrid beat that has the soul of an R&B cut, the bells and whistles of an electronic number and the crashing drums of a trap anthem. The layered, thumping instrumental is perfect for Varner’s equally diverse style. Her lyrical content is pure R&B, but her unique, raspy and undeniably intoxicating vocals have the power to sail above the dense production. Four Letter Word currently lacks a drop date, but y’all will be the first to know when that changes. For now, just enjoy this exquisite tune.
Written by Lucas G. on 03/6/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Only Wanna Give It To You" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)