Currently, Kid Ink is RCA‘s busiest urban artist, but that doesn’t mean the label is a one-trick pony. Ink’s fellow RCA-er (who appeared on his December feature, No Miracles), Elle Varner, looks like she may be the next to step into the label limelight. Cold Case is only a promo single, but after hearing the track (and that she is hard at work her sophomore album, Four Letter Word) it’s hard not to be excited for her near future. Setting the stage on Cold Case, Pop & Oak create an elaborate hybrid beat that has the soul of an R&B cut, the bells and whistles of an electronic number and the crashing drums of a trap anthem. The layered, thumping instrumental is perfect for Varner’s equally diverse style. Her lyrical content is pure R&B, but her unique, raspy and undeniably intoxicating vocals have the power to sail above the dense production. Four Letter Word currently lacks a drop date, but y’all will be the first to know when that changes. For now, just enjoy this exquisite tune.
Written by Lucas G. on 03/6/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Only Wanna Give It To You" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.