Currently, Kid Ink is RCA‘s busiest urban artist, but that doesn’t mean the label is a one-trick pony. Ink’s fellow RCA-er (who appeared on his December feature, No Miracles), Elle Varner, looks like she may be the next to step into the label limelight. Cold Case is only a promo single, but after hearing the track (and that she is hard at work her sophomore album, Four Letter Word) it’s hard not to be excited for her near future. Setting the stage on Cold Case, Pop & Oak create an elaborate hybrid beat that has the soul of an R&B cut, the bells and whistles of an electronic number and the crashing drums of a trap anthem. The layered, thumping instrumental is perfect for Varner’s equally diverse style. Her lyrical content is pure R&B, but her unique, raspy and undeniably intoxicating vocals have the power to sail above the dense production. Four Letter Word currently lacks a drop date, but y’all will be the first to know when that changes. For now, just enjoy this exquisite tune.
Written by Lucas G. on 03/6/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Only Wanna Give It To You" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.