Whenever an artist like Drake tops the charts with a single like Started From The Bottom, it is inevitable that The DJBooth becomes swamped with remixes and freestyled versions of the record. Typically, for the sake of our readers, we skip over these submissions, as the industry is saturated with every Tom, Dick, and Harry putting their spin on a popular song, but Elijah Blake’s new version of Drake’s hit simply too good to pass up. Over the ever-popular Mike Zombie production, Blake puts his own R&B spin on the cut with a sung freestyle. The Def Jam crooner, who authored Usher’s Climax, showcases his penmanship yet again, spinning the song from a tale of success to a song about a past relationship, in which the up-and-comer tries (to no avail) to forget the one that got away by drowning himself in a plethora of other women. Blake’s Started is not attached to a larger body of work, but for more music from the talented up-and-comer peep January’s Talk To Me.
Written by Lucas G. on 03/18/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Talk To Me" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.