Whenever an artist like Drake tops the charts with a single like Started From The Bottom, it is inevitable that The DJBooth becomes swamped with remixes and freestyled versions of the record. Typically, for the sake of our readers, we skip over these submissions, as the industry is saturated with every Tom, Dick, and Harry putting their spin on a popular song, but Elijah Blake’s new version of Drake’s hit simply too good to pass up. Over the ever-popular Mike Zombie production, Blake puts his own R&B spin on the cut with a sung freestyle. The Def Jam crooner, who authored Usher’s Climax, showcases his penmanship yet again, spinning the song from a tale of success to a song about a past relationship, in which the up-and-comer tries (to no avail) to forget the one that got away by drowning himself in a plethora of other women. Blake’s Started is not attached to a larger body of work, but for more music from the talented up-and-comer peep January’s Talk To Me.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!