Whenever an artist like Drake tops the charts with a single like Started From The Bottom, it is inevitable that The DJBooth becomes swamped with remixes and freestyled versions of the record. Typically, for the sake of our readers, we skip over these submissions, as the industry is saturated with every Tom, Dick, and Harry putting their spin on a popular song, but Elijah Blake’s new version of Drake’s hit simply too good to pass up. Over the ever-popular Mike Zombie production, Blake puts his own R&B spin on the cut with a sung freestyle. The Def Jam crooner, who authored Usher’s Climax, showcases his penmanship yet again, spinning the song from a tale of success to a song about a past relationship, in which the up-and-comer tries (to no avail) to forget the one that got away by drowning himself in a plethora of other women. Blake’s Started is not attached to a larger body of work, but for more music from the talented up-and-comer peep January’s Talk To Me.
Written by Lucas G. on 03/18/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Talk To Me" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 4 EP
- One Song to Prove Big Sean is a Dope Rapper (Really)
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.