Whenever an artist like Drake tops the charts with a single like Started From The Bottom, it is inevitable that The DJBooth becomes swamped with remixes and freestyled versions of the record. Typically, for the sake of our readers, we skip over these submissions, as the industry is saturated with every Tom, Dick, and Harry putting their spin on a popular song, but Elijah Blake’s new version of Drake’s hit simply too good to pass up. Over the ever-popular Mike Zombie production, Blake puts his own R&B spin on the cut with a sung freestyle. The Def Jam crooner, who authored Usher’s Climax, showcases his penmanship yet again, spinning the song from a tale of success to a song about a past relationship, in which the up-and-comer tries (to no avail) to forget the one that got away by drowning himself in a plethora of other women. Blake’s Started is not attached to a larger body of work, but for more music from the talented up-and-comer peep January’s Talk To Me.
Written by Lucas G. on 03/18/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.