A member of Cali’s famed Living Legends crew (which also includes MURS and The Grouch) and a prolific solo artist in his own right, Eligh should, by all rights, already be on your radar. Ever the considerate artist, however, the rap vet (and first-time featuree) gives sleepy heads a much-needed Wake Up call on this cut off solo set numero doce. Over his own syncopated percussion and spacey synth murmurs, the headliner showcases a flow so sharp it might lop your ear off if you listen to it wrong. Well, OK, that might be a slight exaggeration – regardless, his constantly shifting tempos and melodic delivery make for an adrenaline-pumping listen. Rhymesayers mainstay Brother Ali handles guest duties, waxing poetic about the domestic life in a characteristically engaging middle 16, and singer Lisa Ahlstrom ties the record together with some certifiably chill chorus vocals. If you’re digging Wake Up‘s eclectically fresh style, you can find plenty more where this came from on Eligh’s Grey Crow LP, released November 9, and available now in stores and online.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Tattoo Song" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.