Simply going by the title of Portland duo’s Elevated‘s first Booth feature, you’d expect Write It Down in Blood to be a little… dark. And you’d be half-right – this new single is the most pleasant, head-noddable song about depression, alienation and crippling insecurity that I’ve ever heard. How is that even possible, you ask? Well, the mellow, bluesy piano-sampled groove (which I know I recognize from somewhere – anyone ID that sample?), co-produced by crewmates Dust and DJ Weather, serves as the spoonful of sugar that makes the former’s confessional rhymes go down a little smoother. In bleak bars cut with ironic self-deprecation, Dust gives listeners a full rundown of his personal failings – from his desperate need of validation from women, to his fear of commitment, to his abuse of liquor to numb the pain – ending the record by, well, ending it. It all adds up to a record that’s both intriguing and kinda worrying. I can only hope the Booth response to this joint elevates the duo’s mood – but that’s for y’all to decide. In any case, those who like what they’re hearing can find more where this came from The Toby Sessions EP, released in early April.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Might as Well Be Rain" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.