Write It Down in Blood, the first and, to date, only Booth feature from Elevated, paired an infectious, bluesy sample with rhymes touching on such uplifting topics as romantic failure, alcohol abuse and suicide. Though the relatively upbeat, slide-guitar driven groove that greets us in the intro to new single Might as Well Be Rain, combined with the ominous title, might have listeners expecting a similar bait-and-switch, I’m happy to say that the intervening year has left the group in a very different place psychologically. While the rhymes Portland emcee Dust delivers over his own upbeat production are as cynical as ever, his depressive tendencies are tempered by bravado, ambition, and even an idiosyncratic brand of spirituality: “I’m not religious but I do believe in God, ‘cause I’ve heard a few sound systems that’d make him tap along.” The end result is almost inspiring, albeit in a jaded and slightly paranoid kind of way. For more witty, occasionally brutal introspection and ear-pleasing beats, check out Elevated’s Nothing Bad Ever Happens LP, scheduled for release on Bandcamp May 26, via Upper Loft Entertainment.
Written by richard on 05/21/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Write it Down in Blood" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.