First things first: Phantoms of Opera, the latest Booth feature from Inglewood emcee El Prez, has nothing to do with Andrew Lloyd Webber’s similarly-named stage production - thankfully; saying that I’m not a big fan of musicals would be the understatement of the year - or the novel that inspired it. In fact, there’s no obvious connection to phantoms or opera, so the title is kind of beyond me. With that said, it is a damned catchy record. Kicked off with a Scrooge McDuck-sampling intro, the newly-leaked track sees producers School of Velocity serving up a simple yet addictive synth riff as Prez does the backstroke through his gold-filled swimming pool. He even preempts the “Why are you rapping about money when you’re not rich yet?” question, spitting, “People think it’s funny when I talk about high stakes and stuff, ‘cause I ain’t really been makin’ much/ That’s cool, I’m savin’ up.” Topped off with J7‘s laid-back hook vocals, PotH is a cut above your average paper-stacking track. Animal Style is set to drop this winter, and fans should watch for Prez to release his new single, King Kong (I’m Gone), in the near future.
Written by richard on 10/28/09
Submit your Rating
Small Chronic Break/Honour Role Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bright Lights Big City" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)