Can you really die of heartbreak? According to five minutes on Google, most definitely—not only can the stress of separation from a loved one apparently cause literal, fatal heart spasms but, if you’re not careful with others’ feelings, you could well find yourself the victim of a crime of passion. Those courting the hip-hop game’s affections, of course, face even greater dangers. Just ask El Prez, who fills us in on his fatal attraction to rap superstardom on Love Kills, a Booth-exclusive world premiere off his next full-length. Over Booth-acclaimed beatsmith Numonics’ moody sample work, the Inglewood fave (and freestyle alum) paints a lyrical portrait of morbid obsession, lamenting, “I feel the music stabbin’ my heart like a samurai, beatin’ it like a punching bag, blasting it with a nine.” Of course, there is that special something that keeps him grinding despite the pain. As guest spitter King Mez (a fellow freestyle alum) paradoxically puts it on the back, “Lovin’ you is killin’ me but also fulfilling me.” Does this blood-soaked love letter to rap leave you craving more? You’ll find what you seek on LEADERSH!T, set for digital release soon via DJBooth and iTunes.
Written by richard on 05/23/12
Submit your Rating
Small Chronic Break/Honour Role Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bright Lights Big City" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.