Can you really die of heartbreak? According to five minutes on Google, most definitely—not only can the stress of separation from a loved one apparently cause literal, fatal heart spasms but, if you’re not careful with others’ feelings, you could well find yourself the victim of a crime of passion. Those courting the hip-hop game’s affections, of course, face even greater dangers. Just ask El Prez, who fills us in on his fatal attraction to rap superstardom on Love Kills, a Booth-exclusive world premiere off his next full-length. Over Booth-acclaimed beatsmith Numonics’ moody sample work, the Inglewood fave (and freestyle alum) paints a lyrical portrait of morbid obsession, lamenting, “I feel the music stabbin’ my heart like a samurai, beatin’ it like a punching bag, blasting it with a nine.” Of course, there is that special something that keeps him grinding despite the pain. As guest spitter King Mez (a fellow freestyle alum) paradoxically puts it on the back, “Lovin’ you is killin’ me but also fulfilling me.” Does this blood-soaked love letter to rap leave you craving more? You’ll find what you seek on LEADERSH!T, set for digital release soon via DJBooth and iTunes.
Written by richard on 05/23/12
Submit your Rating
Small Chronic Break/Honour Role Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bright Lights Big City" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.