Can you really die of heartbreak? According to five minutes on Google, most definitely—not only can the stress of separation from a loved one apparently cause literal, fatal heart spasms but, if you’re not careful with others’ feelings, you could well find yourself the victim of a crime of passion. Those courting the hip-hop game’s affections, of course, face even greater dangers. Just ask El Prez, who fills us in on his fatal attraction to rap superstardom on Love Kills, a Booth-exclusive world premiere off his next full-length. Over Booth-acclaimed beatsmith Numonics’ moody sample work, the Inglewood fave (and freestyle alum) paints a lyrical portrait of morbid obsession, lamenting, “I feel the music stabbin’ my heart like a samurai, beatin’ it like a punching bag, blasting it with a nine.” Of course, there is that special something that keeps him grinding despite the pain. As guest spitter King Mez (a fellow freestyle alum) paradoxically puts it on the back, “Lovin’ you is killin’ me but also fulfilling me.” Does this blood-soaked love letter to rap leave you craving more? You’ll find what you seek on LEADERSH!T, set for digital release soon via DJBooth and iTunes.
Written by richard on 05/23/12
West Coast underground rhymesayer El Prez has come together with The DJBooth, WGGP and Honour Role Music to bring listeners his latest street release, LEADERSH!T The project finds the artist showcasing the originality and...
Small Chronic Break/Honour Role Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bright Lights Big City" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)