Musical icons may not always breed equally talented offspring, but, if I were a betting man (which I am, but that’s beside the point) I wouldn’t hesitate to put money on M. Will The Shogun, an up-and-coming producer who calls hip-hop icon Marly Marl “Dad.” The budding beatsmith’s impressive pedigree is far from his biggest asset, though—as demonstrated on mixtape single and Booth debut Bright Lights Big City, Will’s got some prodigious skills behind the boards and a style all his own. Inglewood emcee and fellow Booth newcomer El Prez spits a (self-) portrait of a hip-hop dreamer determined to grind his way to the top of the game, peppering his lyrics with poetic asides (”Art imitates life, and life’s lookin’ like the Mona Lisa…”) as the Shogun delivers a sampled instrumental with a ‘new-school’ emphasis on melodic catchiness—the strong chord progression at its core brings out the subtle musicality of Prez’ delivery. If you like what you’re hearing, why not take A Journey Though Space & Time with M. Will as your chaperone? The producer’s new, illRoots-sponsored mixtape/compilation album is available now for free download. In addition, fans can look forward to a Booth-exclusive freestyle from Prez next week.
Written by richard on 05/31/09
Submit your Rating
Small Chronic Break/Honour Role Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"John Wilkes Booth" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.