The life of an up-and-coming artist is a constant struggle to be seen, and heard. Unless they resort to stunts like, I don’t know, wearing a dress made out of meat for example, it can be hard to stand out from the crowd, a fact Atlanta-based singer and first time Booth artist EarthTone (not to be confused with the Earth Tone King) knows only too well. Thankfully, her new record Look At Me isn’t a swagger-drenched plea for attention, but rather both a declaration that she’ll always place her music before her image, and a call for others in a similar situation to look to her as a role model. Those intent on comparisons will undoubtedly be reminded of India Arie when they hear Tone’s acoustic guitar playing, mellow, soothing voice and positive message, a package wrapped up nicely by producer Jared Humphries, but whatever her influences, it’s clear that she’s first and foremost always her own woman. Finally, someone we can look to for the right reasons (cough - Lindsay Lohan - cough). Look At Me can be found on EarthTone’s upcoming, self-titled album, which does not currently have a release date.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/26/10
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.