If you tuned in for e-dubble‘s last feature, October 2011’s Fight for Days, you know that he doesn’t get a whole lot of shut-eye; between days on the grind and nights of liquor-soaked revelry, there’s little room in the Baltimore representative’s schedule for catching Z’s. On his latest effort, promo single Grey Skies, the underground emcee/producer reveals what lies behind his allergy to inertia—namely, an acute awareness of the precious and irreplaceable value of each passing minute. Backed by Billy “Villain” Martin’s brooding synths and pensive keyboard arpeggios, the rhymesayer paints a vivid lyrical portrait of anxiety in the face of finitude, spitting, “I see the clock inside my phone just starin’ back at me / like what we do with all our time could be a tragedy.” Of course, he doesn’t spend more than a bar or two fretting about it. Instead, he gives his ambition free rein, brainstorming a brighter future not only for himself, but for the society surrounding him. Does this bracing jam leave you itching to get outside and make something happen? Then have at it—but remember to check back with the Booth for more fresh tunes from this DMV fast-riser.
Written by richard on 01/30/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Changed My Mind" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.