When it rains, it pours. No, I’m not talking about Morton Salt. I’m talking about E-40, who’s getting ready to drench underground hip-hop lovers with a torrential downpour of new music in two months’ time. The latest single off the first of three new albums scheduled for release this March, Function finds the Bay Area mainstay talking up his hustle alongside three fellow Cali representatives. Trend keeps it hyphy on the production tip, pairing a lumbering synth-bassline with a crisp, syncopated percussion rhythm, and Uncle Earl comes with rhymes to match. In a fast-paced opener, he gets “toasted and sloppy off of b-broccoli, Bacardi” and 151 as he stacks paper and brushes off the haters. After the headliner’s said his piece, HBK Gang rapper-producer IamSu turns up the swag with a braggadocio-packed middle 16, and Compton rhymesayer YG brings up the rear, detailing his cavalier way with women on the back end (“I don’t like them hoes, I give ‘em d*ck and dip.” Topped off with a rapped hook by Watts repper Problem, this joint is just one of many dope cuts slated for inclusion on The Block Brochure: Welcome To The Soil (Part 1), dropping along with parts 2 and 3 on March 27.
Written by richard on 01/15/12
Submit your Rating
Sick Wid It/Heavy On The Grind/EMI
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Talk Hard" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.