What’s the Function of the rap remix? Well, in addition to the promotional role of providing a second wind to singles approaching their sell-by date, it often broadens a record’s scope by adding rhymes, concepts and collaborators that didn’t make it onto the original cut. With that said, you can hardly get more expansive than this “Coast to Coast” reimagining of E-40‘s Block Brochure lead single, which finds the Bay Area mainstay making room for an array of guest artists representing a variety of locales. Retained from the original along with Watts repper Problem‘s bars (IamSu! and YG‘s verses, on the other hand, have been excised), Trend‘s street-ready production sets the stage for newly-added contributions from Young Jeezy, Chris Brown (in his “rapper” hat), French Montana and Red Cafe. As if that weren’t enough newness for y’all, Fredo Tovar and Scott Fleishman of APLUSFILMZ tie the package together with some brand new visuals. Originally released back in March The Block Brochure: Welcome to the Soil (Part 1) is available (along with Parts 2 and 3) in stores and online via Heavy on the Grind Ent./EMI.
Written by richard on 08/27/12
Submit your Rating
Sick Wid It/Heavy On The Grind/EMI
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Talk Hard" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)