What’s the Function of the rap remix? Well, in addition to the promotional role of providing a second wind to singles approaching their sell-by date, it often broadens a record’s scope by adding rhymes, concepts and collaborators that didn’t make it onto the original cut. With that said, you can hardly get more expansive than this “Coast to Coast” reimagining of E-40‘s Block Brochure lead single, which finds the Bay Area mainstay making room for an array of guest artists representing a variety of locales. Retained from the original along with Watts repper Problem‘s bars (IamSu! and YG‘s verses, on the other hand, have been excised), Trend‘s street-ready production sets the stage for newly-added contributions from Young Jeezy, Chris Brown (in his “rapper” hat), French Montana and Red Cafe. As if that weren’t enough newness for y’all, Fredo Tovar and Scott Fleishman of APLUSFILMZ tie the package together with some brand new visuals. Originally released back in March The Block Brochure: Welcome to the Soil (Part 1) is available (along with Parts 2 and 3) in stores and online via Heavy on the Grind Ent./EMI.
Written by richard on 08/27/12
Submit your Rating
Sick Wid It/Heavy On The Grind/EMI
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Talk Hard" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.