What’s the Function of the rap remix? Well, in addition to the promotional role of providing a second wind to singles approaching their sell-by date, it often broadens a record’s scope by adding rhymes, concepts and collaborators that didn’t make it onto the original cut. With that said, you can hardly get more expansive than this “Coast to Coast” reimagining of E-40‘s Block Brochure lead single, which finds the Bay Area mainstay making room for an array of guest artists representing a variety of locales. Retained from the original along with Watts repper Problem‘s bars (IamSu! and YG‘s verses, on the other hand, have been excised), Trend‘s street-ready production sets the stage for newly-added contributions from Young Jeezy, Chris Brown (in his “rapper” hat), French Montana and Red Cafe. As if that weren’t enough newness for y’all, Fredo Tovar and Scott Fleishman of APLUSFILMZ tie the package together with some brand new visuals. Originally released back in March The Block Brochure: Welcome to the Soil (Part 1) is available (along with Parts 2 and 3) in stores and online via Heavy on the Grind Ent./EMI.
Written by richard on 08/27/12
Sick Wid It/Heavy On The Grind/EMI
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Talk Hard" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)