This October, Bay Area icon E-40 will release his tenth solo album, The Ball Street Journal. While building up a rather extensive catalog over the past sixteen years, 40 has become well-known for his lyrically-delectable party jams, which cater towards his hyphy-loving West Coast fanbase. On the first official single from his forthcoming LP, however, the rapper born Earl Stevens has decided to change it up. On Wake It Up, the emcee is joined by Akon (who provides both a hook and production assistance) for a radio-request-worthy ladies jam. Unlike the previously-released Turf Drop, which only appealed to a localized Bay Area audience, Wake It Up plays to the satisfaction of hip hop listeners from coast to coast.
Written by DJ Z on 07/7/08
Sick Wid It/Heavy On The Grind/EMI
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Talk Hard" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)