This October, Bay Area icon E-40 will release his tenth solo album, The Ball Street Journal. While building up a rather extensive catalog over the past sixteen years, 40 has become well-known for his lyrically-delectable party jams, which cater towards his hyphy-loving West Coast fanbase. On the first official single from his forthcoming LP, however, the rapper born Earl Stevens has decided to change it up. On Wake It Up, the emcee is joined by Akon (who provides both a hook and production assistance) for a radio-request-worthy ladies jam. Unlike the previously-released Turf Drop, which only appealed to a localized Bay Area audience, Wake It Up plays to the satisfaction of hip hop listeners from coast to coast.
Written by DJ Z on 07/7/08
Sick Wid It/Heavy On The Grind/EMI
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Talk Hard" (2006)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.