Still haven’t copped A Portrait of Donnovan, the DJBooth-hosted street album from DyMe-A-DuZIN? I figure anyone who would willingly deprive themselves of dope, free music must be a masochist, but the Brooklyn rhymesayer is a shade more optimistic. Thus, he’s decided to show you exactly what you’re missing by way of a fresh video single. Wake Up Free is an oblique account of the Brooklynite’s dissatisfaction with the major-label hustle, with beatsmith Emily Haynies serving up a brooding, keyboard-led beat as the artist dramatizes his struggle against bureaucratic strictures on his creativity. Directors Rik Cordero and Ryan Blazon take the “sub” out of “subtext,” depicting a demonic label suit torching a recording contract (among numerous other surreal images) in their official visuals. Feeling it? Then what are you waiting for—click here to check out DyMe’s latest LP, available for streaming and download as of mid-January.
Written by richard on 02/8/13
Brooklyn lyricist DyMe-A-DuZiN has released his latest project, A Portrait Of Donnavan. The 15-track set includes previously-released songs "New Brooklyn" and "Memories." Joining the Warner Bros. signee on Portrait are...
Warner Bros. Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.