Still haven’t copped A Portrait of Donnovan, the DJBooth-hosted street album from DyMe-A-DuZIN? I figure anyone who would willingly deprive themselves of dope, free music must be a masochist, but the Brooklyn rhymesayer is a shade more optimistic. Thus, he’s decided to show you exactly what you’re missing by way of a fresh video single. Wake Up Free is an oblique account of the Brooklynite’s dissatisfaction with the major-label hustle, with beatsmith Emily Haynies serving up a brooding, keyboard-led beat as the artist dramatizes his struggle against bureaucratic strictures on his creativity. Directors Rik Cordero and Ryan Blazon take the “sub” out of “subtext,” depicting a demonic label suit torching a recording contract (among numerous other surreal images) in their official visuals. Feeling it? Then what are you waiting for—click here to check out DyMe’s latest LP, available for streaming and download as of mid-January.
Written by richard on 02/8/13
Brooklyn lyricist DyMe-A-DuZiN has released his latest project, A Portrait Of Donnavan. The 15-track set includes previously-released songs "New Brooklyn" and "Memories." Joining the Warner Bros. signee on Portrait are...
Warner Bros. Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.