Still haven’t copped A Portrait of Donnovan, the DJBooth-hosted street album from DyMe-A-DuZIN? I figure anyone who would willingly deprive themselves of dope, free music must be a masochist, but the Brooklyn rhymesayer is a shade more optimistic. Thus, he’s decided to show you exactly what you’re missing by way of a fresh video single. Wake Up Free is an oblique account of the Brooklynite’s dissatisfaction with the major-label hustle, with beatsmith Emily Haynies serving up a brooding, keyboard-led beat as the artist dramatizes his struggle against bureaucratic strictures on his creativity. Directors Rik Cordero and Ryan Blazon take the “sub” out of “subtext,” depicting a demonic label suit torching a recording contract (among numerous other surreal images) in their official visuals. Feeling it? Then what are you waiting for—click here to check out DyMe’s latest LP, available for streaming and download as of mid-January.
Written by richard on 02/8/13
Brooklyn lyricist DyMe-A-DuZiN has released his latest project, A Portrait Of Donnavan. The 15-track set includes previously-released songs "New Brooklyn" and "Memories." Joining the Warner Bros. signee on Portrait are...
Warner Bros. Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.