No, album lead single Growing Young and its accompanying visuals don’t depict Dumbfoundead aging in reverse à la Benjamin Button. In fact, his situation is one that most guys between 20 and 30 (And perhaps beyond—I won’t know till I get there.) will be able to relate to: he feels like an irresponsible kid in a man’s body. With Breezy Lovejoy‘s contemplative yet upbeat, keyboard-led production as his canvas, the Los Angeles emcee charts his growth from a grade-schooler getting sent on cigarette runs by his pops to an adult who keeps making all the same mistakes his old man did. Comic artist Sang Lee brings the narrative to life with the help of video director AK+B, illustrating Dumbfoundead’s rhymes with a shapeshifting series of lively, hand-drawn portraits. Fans will be able to find this autobiographical banger and much more on the artist’s Take the Stares street album, scheduled for release October 16.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.