To paraphrase the great Isaac Newton, every action has its equal and opposite reaction – and for Dujeous’ latest single, the uplifting Spectacular, that reaction is gloomy B-side Death and Taxes. Centered more on the latter topic than the former, this cut finds emcees Rheturik, Mojo the Cinematic and Mas D mourning the loss of their hard-earned dollars over their instrumentalist cohorts’ appropriately downbeat mix of muted brass, piano, and doleful electric guitar riffs. With a theme just about everyone can relate to and plenty of clever, quotable lines (“These n*ggas got my neck on the block like H&R”), this track is sure to strike a chord with cash-strapped listeners, but I can’t help but be a tiny bit disappointed that Dujeous didn’t look a little farther beyond their own pocketbooks; with taxes, economic injustice, and government spending at the forefront of the public consciousness, a broader perspective could have made for a truly powerful and timely record. As always, though, I’ll let Booth readers have the final say. If you like what you’re hearing, grab a copy of Dujeous’ sophomore LP, Day in, Day Out, when it drops in March 2010.
Written by richard on 12/21/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Break Bread ft. John Legend & Maya Azucena" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.