I don’t know about y’all, but I’m sensing a stronger-than-usual undercurrent of nostalgia today in the DJBooth. Just a couple hours after hearing Everliven Sound lament rap’s post-1990s decline in quality on album title track Everending Story, we find Drique London doing the underground crew one better with the ‘80s-inspired lead single off his forthcoming collaborative EP with U’Nique Music. On Take It Back, beatsmith Majestic transforms Emerson, Lake & Palmer’s 1970 cut Take a Pebble into a stark, minimalistic backdrop for the First in Flight State emcee’s backward-looking bars. Two emcees who share Drique’s affection for Reagan-era beats and rhymes, Oklahoma City spitter Jabee and Little Brother alum Rapper Big Pooh provide guest bars, and DJ Flash mans the wheels of steel. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on Payton & Kemp, set for free, digital release December 16.
Written by richard on 12/10/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.