I don’t know about y’all, but I’m sensing a stronger-than-usual undercurrent of nostalgia today in the DJBooth. Just a couple hours after hearing Everliven Sound lament rap’s post-1990s decline in quality on album title track Everending Story, we find Drique London doing the underground crew one better with the ‘80s-inspired lead single off his forthcoming collaborative EP with U’Nique Music. On Take It Back, beatsmith Majestic transforms Emerson, Lake & Palmer’s 1970 cut Take a Pebble into a stark, minimalistic backdrop for the First in Flight State emcee’s backward-looking bars. Two emcees who share Drique’s affection for Reagan-era beats and rhymes, Oklahoma City spitter Jabee and Little Brother alum Rapper Big Pooh provide guest bars, and DJ Flash mans the wheels of steel. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on Payton & Kemp, set for free, digital release December 16.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!