Early this month, Dre-Ski hit a home run in the Booth with his first feature, the hypnotically head-nodding, J. Cole-produced Empty Paradise. Now, the D.C. rapper’s back to turn his smash-hit Booth debut into a winning streak with It’s Getting Old, a lyrically downtrodden but catchy-as-all-get-out meditation on the seemingly endless waiting game that comes with being an up-and-coming rap artist. In addition to Ski’s heartfelt, easily-relatable rhymes, this track boasts some downright stellar boardwork from fledgling beatsmith Haidar “The Madman” Naghmi – for his production debut, HH blends a sped-up sample with reverb-drenched percussion and equally high-pitched ‘Ay!’ accents to create a left-of-center Chipmunk-style beat that going to be on ‘repeat’ in my head for the next couple days. It’s Getting Old is set to be included on Dre-Ski’s forthcoming Cloud 8.7 mixalbum, but in the meantime fans can enjoy his Follow Me mixtape, available now online.
Written by richard on 10/28/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Empty Paradise" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.