Early this month, Dre-Ski hit a home run in the Booth with his first feature, the hypnotically head-nodding, J. Cole-produced Empty Paradise. Now, the D.C. rapper’s back to turn his smash-hit Booth debut into a winning streak with It’s Getting Old, a lyrically downtrodden but catchy-as-all-get-out meditation on the seemingly endless waiting game that comes with being an up-and-coming rap artist. In addition to Ski’s heartfelt, easily-relatable rhymes, this track boasts some downright stellar boardwork from fledgling beatsmith Haidar “The Madman” Naghmi – for his production debut, HH blends a sped-up sample with reverb-drenched percussion and equally high-pitched ‘Ay!’ accents to create a left-of-center Chipmunk-style beat that going to be on ‘repeat’ in my head for the next couple days. It’s Getting Old is set to be included on Dre-Ski’s forthcoming Cloud 8.7 mixalbum, but in the meantime fans can enjoy his Follow Me mixtape, available now online.
Written by richard on 10/28/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Empty Paradise" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.