Earlier today, Dr. Dre rode into Compton on an real, live unicorn, holding aloft the Holy Grail (which was filled with water from the fabled Fountain of Youth), and spoke three words to the shocked onlookers: “Detox is real.” OK, OK, that might not have been exactly how it went down – but then again it may as well have been, considering the shockwave that went through the hip-hop nation when Kush, a now-confirmed track off the superproducer’s mythical junior set, leaked to the ‘net. Apparently the only weed-themed record on the project, this smokers’ anthem finds the West Coast mainstay cooking up a bouncing string/piano-loop backdrop for his own blunted rhymes, as well as those of an old friend; joining Dre to puff on the chronic once more is – who else? – Snoop
Dogg, who announces that he’s still “tighter than the pants on will.i.am” in his lazily-drawled 16. Akon rounds out the lineup, contributing a THC-drenched verse as well as a street-ready chorus. Does this joint give you high hopes for the endlessly-awaited album (now scheduled for release in December), or is it a puff-puff-pass? Ready… set… debate!
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bounce ft. Justin Timberlake, Dr. Dre & Missy Elliot" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.