Earlier today, Dr. Dre rode into Compton on an real, live unicorn, holding aloft the Holy Grail (which was filled with water from the fabled Fountain of Youth), and spoke three words to the shocked onlookers: “Detox is real.” OK, OK, that might not have been exactly how it went down – but then again it may as well have been, considering the shockwave that went through the hip-hop nation when Kush, a now-confirmed track off the superproducer’s mythical junior set, leaked to the ‘net. Apparently the only weed-themed record on the project, this smokers’ anthem finds the West Coast mainstay cooking up a bouncing string/piano-loop backdrop for his own blunted rhymes, as well as those of an old friend; joining Dre to puff on the chronic once more is – who else? – Snoop
Dogg, who announces that he’s still “tighter than the pants on will.i.am” in his lazily-drawled 16. Akon rounds out the lineup, contributing a THC-drenched verse as well as a street-ready chorus. Does this joint give you high hopes for the endlessly-awaited album (now scheduled for release in December), or is it a puff-puff-pass? Ready… set… debate!
Written by richard on 11/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bounce ft. Justin Timberlake, Dr. Dre & Missy Elliot" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.