If you would, Booth readers, bow your heads for a brief moment of silence… OK, we’re good. What were we solemnly commemorating just now? Drake‘s domination of the hip-hop game, of course. On a loosie freestyle, the Young Money heavyweight transforms We Made It, a standout off Soulja Boy‘s recent The King mixtape, into a paean to his success, and the luxurious lifestyle it’s enabled him to lead. PurpDogg‘s brass fanfare and slow-rolling trap percussion (garnished with a few samples from Eastbound and Down) set the mood as Aubrey Graham takes his lyrical victory lap. Notably, he reveals on the front that his new girl’s not a stripper or a Hooters waitress: “She say she workin’ for Walgreens, not at the store at the head office.” This freestyle is the first of “four or five records” the artist plans to release this week, in honor of the New Year. As always, fans can keep it locked to the Booth for more.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brand New (Remix) ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!