After a year’s worth of speculation, the moment of truth is here: Drake has finally chosen a label home. Despite prior statements to the contrary, the Toronto native is signed to Young Money—with Cash Money/Universal Republic distribution—and his debut album, Thank Me Later is set to drop on the tail end of ‘09. This past week, Every Girl producer Tha Bizness released The Winner, the first official leak off the forthcoming LP. Secure in his status as ‘09’s Rookie of the Year, Drake celebrates the occasion by spitting an acceptance speech, complete with thanks to the family and friends who helped make his victory possible. Simply put, it would behoove Weezy, Birdman, and the entire label team to green-light this track for buzz single promotion; judging at how well similar preview tracks (Crack a Bottle, D.O.A.) have done recently, there’s a good chance The Winner will live up to its name on the charts. Now that the label issue’s resolved, fans can shift their speculation to a new question: will Thank Me Later be the first debut rap album to go plat since Souljaboytellem.com?
Written by Burmy on 07/13/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brand New (Remix) ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.