After a year’s worth of speculation, the moment of truth is here: Drake has finally chosen a label home. Despite prior statements to the contrary, the Toronto native is signed to Young Money—with Cash Money/Universal Republic distribution—and his debut album, Thank Me Later is set to drop on the tail end of ‘09. This past week, Every Girl producer Tha Bizness released The Winner, the first official leak off the forthcoming LP. Secure in his status as ‘09’s Rookie of the Year, Drake celebrates the occasion by spitting an acceptance speech, complete with thanks to the family and friends who helped make his victory possible. Simply put, it would behoove Weezy, Birdman, and the entire label team to green-light this track for buzz single promotion; judging at how well similar preview tracks (Crack a Bottle, D.O.A.) have done recently, there’s a good chance The Winner will live up to its name on the charts. Now that the label issue’s resolved, fans can shift their speculation to a new question: will Thank Me Later be the first debut rap album to go plat since Souljaboytellem.com?
Written by Burmy on 07/13/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brand New (Remix) ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)