In truth, there’s only one man powerful enough to have the hip-hop interwebs explode to the degree it has over the past few hours, and his name is Drake. Given the reaction to the release of the young phenom’s new single Over you’d think he was handing out tickets to heaven, not a song, but the hype surrounding his upcoming debut album Thank Me Later really is that crazy. Oh yeah, the music… Produced by Boi-1da, who crafts an epic, string-driven beat that oddly lags during the verses, Over is first and foremost Drake’s show, and the spotlight shines on his mic skills as he drops punchline after punchline about the consequences of his meteroric rise, plus a random Jade Pinkett diss; Will will not be pleased (kidding). The result is a track that’s good, but nowhere near the second coming of Christ fans were surely expecting. Still, those disappointed should probably blame their own insanely high expectations, not the Drakester. The bold and arrogantly titled Thank Me Later is set to drop sometime this spring – let the insanity begin.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brand New (Remix) ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.