In truth, there’s only one man powerful enough to have the hip-hop interwebs explode to the degree it has over the past few hours, and his name is Drake. Given the reaction to the release of the young phenom’s new single Over you’d think he was handing out tickets to heaven, not a song, but the hype surrounding his upcoming debut album Thank Me Later really is that crazy. Oh yeah, the music… Produced by Boi-1da, who crafts an epic, string-driven beat that oddly lags during the verses, Over is first and foremost Drake’s show, and the spotlight shines on his mic skills as he drops punchline after punchline about the consequences of his meteroric rise, plus a random Jade Pinkett diss; Will will not be pleased (kidding). The result is a track that’s good, but nowhere near the second coming of Christ fans were surely expecting. Still, those disappointed should probably blame their own insanely high expectations, not the Drakester. The bold and arrogantly titled Thank Me Later is set to drop sometime this spring – let the insanity begin.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/7/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brand New (Remix) ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.