Do you miss the insanity that would accompany every new Drake release in the pre-Thank Me Later days? No? Well like it or not their back, albeit in diluted form, now that Drizzy’s begun to drop records off his upcoming r&b-only mixtape, beginning with the tearstained, I Get Lonely Too. The board work, of course, if provided by constant production partner Noah “40” Shebib, who interpolates TLC’s Fan Mail to create a typically ambient and warmly electronic beat for Aubrey to lay down the kind of vocals guaranteed to make teenage girls the world over hyperventilate. It’s only “r&b” in the sense that it’s romantic and full of crooning, but no matter the label, something tells me Drake’s got yet another hit on his hands, even if there’s sure to be no shortage of “he should stick to rapping” proponents (see the comments below). Drake’s sure to explode the internets mixtape, It’s Never Enough, doesn’t have a release date yet, so in the meantime we’ll just have to content ourselves with speculation and debate. Ah, just like the good ‘ol days.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/5/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brand New (Remix) ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.