Few artists have ever exploded onto the scene as quickly as Aubrey Graham. It was only two or three years ago when a buddy told me to check out this guy named Drake – So Far Gone dropped a few months later and seemingly overnight he was a fixture in America’s iPods. But what does this all prove? That Drake is definitely someone that can create Headlines. Today is no different as the Toronto rapper-turnt-singa-turnt-rapper drops off the first official single from his sophomore effort, Take Care. Produced by Boi-1da, Headlines is fully equipped with an arsenal of horns and snares over which Drake implants his relatable raps and addictive singing. Reflecting on how life has changed for him, in typical Drizzy lyrically alternates between tackling his insecurities, the challenges of fame and, while he’s at it, some outright stunting. It sounds like not much has changed since Thank Me Later this is the same blend of humility and braggadocio rap that he’s made his trademark. With Take Care’s October 24 release date approaching, prepare for Drake’s name pop up in the Headlines with increasing frequency.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 07/31/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brand New (Remix) ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.