Aubrey “Drake” Graham has come a long way from Degrassi Community School. Since graduating from his role as Jimmy Brooks, the Toronto native has become one of his hometown’s hottest up-and-coming emcees, even earning a Best of the Booth award for his Weezy-featuring mixtape cut, Ransom. Now, Drake’s signed to Interscope, and is preparing to drop his So Far Gone mixtape. On a potential, unconfirmed buzz single off the long-awaited street release Drake is reunited with the collaborator who added star power to his 2006 single, Replacement Girl. Trey Songz handles the hook on She Just Wanna Dance, which finds Drake placing total trust in his girl as she dresses up for a night on the town without him, and J.R. Rotem‘s beat combines several production trends du jour (Staccato synth arpeggios – check. Cheesy sci-fi organ – check) with crowd-pleasing results. Drake has a debut album entitled Thank Me Later in the works, but neither it nor So Far Gone have received a solid release date.
Written by richard on 01/15/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life ft. Trey Songz" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.