Aubrey “Drake” Graham has come a long way from Degrassi Community School. Since graduating from his role as Jimmy Brooks, the Toronto native has become one of his hometown’s hottest up-and-coming emcees, even earning a Best of the Booth award for his Weezy-featuring mixtape cut, Ransom. Now, Drake’s signed to Interscope, and is preparing to drop his So Far Gone mixtape. On a potential, unconfirmed buzz single off the long-awaited street release Drake is reunited with the collaborator who added star power to his 2006 single, Replacement Girl. Trey Songz handles the hook on She Just Wanna Dance, which finds Drake placing total trust in his girl as she dresses up for a night on the town without him, and J.R. Rotem‘s beat combines several production trends du jour (Staccato synth arpeggios – check. Cheesy sci-fi organ – check) with crowd-pleasing results. Drake has a debut album entitled Thank Me Later in the works, but neither it nor So Far Gone have received a solid release date.
Written by richard on 01/15/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pain In My Life" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)