If DJBooth.net had printing presses, somebody would be running down the hall right now screaming to stop them. What’s the occasion? Only a new, apropos-of-nothing-in-particular release from one of the heaviest heavyweights in the game, Aubrey “Drake” Graham. On unreleased joint The Dreams Money Can Buy, the T-dot hitmaker tells “...a story of dreams mixed with reality.” The subject matter is essentially Drizzy’s bread-and butter – the struggle to balance the demands of fame and fortune with the desire to live a normal life – but the execution is eminently fresh. Noah “40” Shebib handles production duties, flipping a sample from electronic artist Jai Paul‘s BTSU into a hazy backdrop for Drake’s confessional bars. Notably, the rap Lothario admits that he kinda enjoys breaking hearts: “I want women to cry and pour out their heart for me / and tell me how much they hate it when they’re apart from me / Lately I do b*tches the meanest / tell ‘em I love ‘em and I don’t ever mean it.” Harsh – but I have a feeling female fans will forgive him. Though Dreams isn’t set for inclusion on any forthcoming roject, fans can keep it locked to the Booth for everything Drizzy – including details on his in-progress sophomore set.
Written by richard on 05/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brand New (Remix) ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.