On April 11, the major motion picture Draft Day will be released to theaters. The film’s plot follows Sonny Weaver, played by Kevin Costner, a GM for the Browns who has the opportunity to save football in Cleveland. What does any of this have to do with a new record release from Drake? Absolutely nothing. But there is plenty of common sense linkage on display here. For starters, Cleveland is a hardworking city, rich with unrecognized talent. Likewise, the OVO bossman’s hometown of Toronto is also full of talent, being put on the proverbial map by one of the rap game’s biggest names. Secondly, and more directly, the song references future professional sports stars Johnny Manziel (NFL), with whom Drake is good friends, and Andrew Wiggins (NBA), who is a fellow Canadian. The record’s production is provided by in-house beatsmith Boi-1da and The Fans, who sample Lauryn Hill’s legendary single, Doo Wop (That Thing). So is Aubrey Graham worthy of a #1 pick? Well, we know that he thinks so. After listening, however, the question quickly becomes: does Chance The Rapper agree?
Written by DJ Z on 04/1/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brand New (Remix) ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.