On April 11, the major motion picture Draft Day will be released to theaters. The film’s plot follows Sonny Weaver, played by Kevin Costner, a GM for the Browns who has the opportunity to save football in Cleveland. What does any of this have to do with a new record release from Drake? Absolutely nothing. But there is plenty of common sense linkage on display here. For starters, Cleveland is a hardworking city, rich with unrecognized talent. Likewise, the OVO bossman’s hometown of Toronto is also full of talent, being put on the proverbial map by one of the rap game’s biggest names. Secondly, and more directly, the song references future professional sports stars Johnny Manziel (NFL), with whom Drake is good friends, and Andrew Wiggins (NBA), who is a fellow Canadian. The record’s production is provided by in-house beatsmith Boi-1da and The Fans, who sample Lauryn Hill’s legendary single, Doo Wop (That Thing). So is Aubrey Graham worthy of a #1 pick? Well, we know that he thinks so. After listening, however, the question quickly becomes: does Chance The Rapper agree?
Written by DJ Z on 04/1/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Brand New (Remix) ft. Lil' Wayne" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.