I’ll admit I’m biased - I was, after all, in the room when he spit some sick verses for our BK Cypher - but I still feel like Donny Goines is one of the best New York emcees you’ve (maybe) never heard of. Think I’m exaggerating? Take a listen to his new cut No Apologies, an appropriately unapologetically relentless banger. First and foremost, the gospel meets hard rock production comes to us courtesy of M-Phazes (who, by the way, has been killing the boards lately). It’s a beat so monstrous most emcees would drown in it, but here Goines manages to rise above and deliver four straight minutes of high-caliber lyricism, complete with lines like: “You like REM, losin your religion in the songs you chant / J Hova, god son, well I’m the antichrist / Lucifer when they hand me mics.” Aspiring rappers might want to take notes. No Apologies is off his new project Rocksmith Tokyo And Donny Goines Present 20X EP, which currently has no release date, so you’ll just have to keep it locked to the Booth for more.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/24/10
Submit your Rating
Ink Different, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What the People Want" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.