I’ll admit I’m biased - I was, after all, in the room when he spit some sick verses for our BK Cypher - but I still feel like Donny Goines is one of the best New York emcees you’ve (maybe) never heard of. Think I’m exaggerating? Take a listen to his new cut No Apologies, an appropriately unapologetically relentless banger. First and foremost, the gospel meets hard rock production comes to us courtesy of M-Phazes (who, by the way, has been killing the boards lately). It’s a beat so monstrous most emcees would drown in it, but here Goines manages to rise above and deliver four straight minutes of high-caliber lyricism, complete with lines like: “You like REM, losin your religion in the songs you chant / J Hova, god son, well I’m the antichrist / Lucifer when they hand me mics.” Aspiring rappers might want to take notes. No Apologies is off his new project Rocksmith Tokyo And Donny Goines Present 20X EP, which currently has no release date, so you’ll just have to keep it locked to the Booth for more.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/24/10
Submit your Rating
Ink Different, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What the People Want" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.