It’s rare to hear a somber hip-hop record end happily, but DJBooth Freestyle Series alum Donny Goines is throwing the book out the…wait for it…window with his latest track, My Window. Here Goines focuses on his storytelling skills and invites listeners inside his eyes for a look at the daily drama he sees in his neighborhood. Backed by yet another impressive Statik Skeletah beat (does the man ever fail?), whose boarwork’s smooth feel contrasts the harsh theme of the track nicely, the cut follows the lives of two long suffering young people struggling with problems beyond their control. (Spoiler alert!) However, when the two meet each other, they realize that happiness can be found even when hope is bleak within. Yeah, that’s some deep ish. Fans can find more similarly high quality hip-hop on My Window’s home, DJ Quiz Presents: Quiz Knows a Mixtape, which dropped yesterday. And as always, keep it locked to the Booth for more.
Written by Sigurd on 03/31/10
Submit your Rating
Ink Different, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What the People Want" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.