If you’re anything like me, you read the title of Donny Goines’ latest single and instantly felt a craving for finely-chopped morsels of meat and seafood, preferably accompanied by loud, flashy knife tricks (can’t forget the onion-volcano routine, either). In reality, however, when emcee’s bankroll cries out “Ich!ban, b*tch!” it’s not requesting to be spent on a teppanyaki dinner – it’s proclaiming Goines to be the best in the game, or (literally) “number one.” Having trumpeted his city’s hip-hop supremacy in last May’s Rock NYC (Remix), the freestyle series alum makes it all about him this time around, lacing F.R.E.A.K‘s buzzsaw synths and boom-bap percussion with metaphorical expressions of his greatness, from the blunt (“I am a cash cow, suck on my titties”) to the cerebral, if slightly confusing “My motifs are motivated by Mozart.” While I’m not hearing Amadeus’ influence on this particular joint, the man’s mic skills are undeniable. But enough from me – do you agree with Goines’ self-assessment? Then keep it locked for release details on his forthcoming sophomore set, Success Served Cold.
Written by richard on 02/16/11
Submit your Rating
Ink Different, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What the People Want" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.