If you’re anything like me, you read the title of Donny Goines’ latest single and instantly felt a craving for finely-chopped morsels of meat and seafood, preferably accompanied by loud, flashy knife tricks (can’t forget the onion-volcano routine, either). In reality, however, when emcee’s bankroll cries out “Ich!ban, b*tch!” it’s not requesting to be spent on a teppanyaki dinner – it’s proclaiming Goines to be the best in the game, or (literally) “number one.” Having trumpeted his city’s hip-hop supremacy in last May’s Rock NYC (Remix), the freestyle series alum makes it all about him this time around, lacing F.R.E.A.K‘s buzzsaw synths and boom-bap percussion with metaphorical expressions of his greatness, from the blunt (“I am a cash cow, suck on my titties”) to the cerebral, if slightly confusing “My motifs are motivated by Mozart.” While I’m not hearing Amadeus’ influence on this particular joint, the man’s mic skills are undeniable. But enough from me – do you agree with Goines’ self-assessment? Then keep it locked for release details on his forthcoming sophomore set, Success Served Cold.
Listen to More: Donny Goines
Written by richard on 02/16/11
Ink Different, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What the People Want" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.