Being that Donny Goines’ forthcoming LP shares its title with John Hughes’ classic ‘85 film, The Breakfast Club, it’s only appropriate that the first leak is an ensemble cut featuring a cast of five—and I’m going to stop drawing parallels right there, since I doubt any of the artists involved would appreciate being compared to Molly Ringwald. On this remix of What You Expect, Statik Selektah serves up a subtle, piano-and-strings beat and some old-school turntablism as each member of Goines’ lyrical Brat Pack rocks the mic; after a gruff opener by North Carolina’s Rain, the headliner steps in for a wordplay-heavy second verse, which is followed by an hard-hitting contribution from Booth favorite Termanology. On the back end, Grey Haired rapper REKS jumps on board, and Harlem’s Big Lou ends the record on a strong note. It’s white-hot, but what else could you expect from this lineup? Goines’ Breakfast Club LP will be available for free download May 19th, but before that, fans can look forward to an exclusive freestyle from the reader-acclaimed emcee.
Written by richard on 04/28/09
Submit your Rating
Ink Different, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What the People Want" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.