I’d be willing to bet that most of the artists now considered pop royalty were legends in their own minds long before the public recognized their greatness—call it ambition, delusion, or whatever you’d like, but those who aren’t on some level convinced that they deserve success can hardly hope to make it to the top. On unreleased cut Dream Awake, recently leaked via the artist’s Twitter feed, Donny Goines showcases a level of confidence befitting a hip-hop legend, and a work ethic to match. Over Nastee‘s brassy, soul-sampling boardwork, the Big Apple emcee explains just how high his sights are set—unfazed by his current lack of funds, he’s more than willing to pinch pennies as he works overtime to create an enduring legacy. The music industry’s one fickle mistress, but, with the mindset and the on-the-mic skills Goines exhibits here, he has every chance of making his dream a reality. For more hot rhymes from the hip-hop hopeful who brought us Special Delivery to the DJBooth, download a copy of his latest LP, The Breakfast Club.
Written by richard on 08/31/09
Submit your Rating
Ink Different, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What the People Want" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.