Rap anthems are typically geared towards those struggling to succeed against long odds, whether their mission is to hustle their way out of the streets, succeed in an overcrowded music game, or simply be as much of a player as humanly possible (shouts to UGK!). But what about those who’ve already won—don’t they deserve one, too? Donny Goines seems to believe so; on the latest single off his forthcoming full-length, he’s enlisted as few of his winning-est homies to craft a Champions Anthem. Beatsmith Maki provides a suitably exultant, brass-sampled backdrop (complete with a dope piano hook) for the headliner’s victorious bars, as well as the equally triumphant lyrical stylings of Houston mainstay Bun B, Kansas City-repping Booth fave XV, and ATL buzzmaker Pill. DJ Corbett rounds out the lineup, lending his gruff vocals to the record’s hook. So, Booth readers, is everyone on the cut a Champion, or can there be only one? Debate away—or just keep it locked for the latest tunes off Donny Goines’ Rocawear/Artful Dodger-sponsored Success Served Cold street album, scheduled to hit the ‘net November 11.
For the full story behind Donny’s Champions Anthem be sure to check out his The Breakdown interview on RefinedHype!
Written by richard on 10/6/11
Submit your Rating
Ink Different, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What the People Want" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.