From the Mongols streaming into India to Genghis Khan toppling China’s Jin Dynasty (thanks 8th grade history class!) Barbarians have a long and successful history of invading the establishment with their combination of fearlessness, hunger and, if need be, savagery. And yes, that is a metaphor for NYC emcee Donny Goines current attack on the hip-hop game. This standout cut is given its appropriately cinematic sound by producer Frequency that’s sure to set fire to any resisting townships. From there it’s up to the trio of DJBooth Freestyle Alums (I’m just saying) to wield their mics like swords, or crossbows….you know what, the weapon’s really up to them. The point is that in addition to rhyme work from the headliner we get vicious bars from Jon Connor (word to Ursula), Laws (word to Conan) and, as if that wasn’t enough, some hype man work from Just Blaze on the intro. In other words, Barbarians is the perfect revenge for anyone who’s ever doubted Donny. Speaking of which, Goines’ brand new digital album, Success Served Cold, is available via iTunes now.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/13/11
Ink Different, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What the People Want" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.