From the Mongols streaming into India to Genghis Khan toppling China’s Jin Dynasty (thanks 8th grade history class!) Barbarians have a long and successful history of invading the establishment with their combination of fearlessness, hunger and, if need be, savagery. And yes, that is a metaphor for NYC emcee Donny Goines current attack on the hip-hop game. This standout cut is given its appropriately cinematic sound by producer Frequency that’s sure to set fire to any resisting townships. From there it’s up to the trio of DJBooth Freestyle Alums (I’m just saying) to wield their mics like swords, or crossbows….you know what, the weapon’s really up to them. The point is that in addition to rhyme work from the headliner we get vicious bars from Jon Connor (word to Ursula), Laws (word to Conan) and, as if that wasn’t enough, some hype man work from Just Blaze on the intro. In other words, Barbarians is the perfect revenge for anyone who’s ever doubted Donny. Speaking of which, Goines’ brand new digital album, Success Served Cold, is available via iTunes now.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/13/11
Submit your Rating
Ink Different, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What the People Want" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.