Freestyle series alum, ATL fast-riser and country rhyme spitter Donnis is stepping back into the Booth with Tonight, a record off his Fashionably Late mixtape that’s now become an official single for his Fashionably Late EP. Produced by buzzing board master T-Minus, Tonight is a thumping ode to shutting down the strip in your respective city. Ok, so it’s not the most creative subject matter, but thankfully Donnis makes up for it with some interesting lyricism (check the Dru Hill reference) guaranteed to keep the party moving. The A-Town native has a knack for creating synth infused hip-hop party songs, his breakthrough Gone got play everywhere from the trendiest clubs to the most ghetto spots, and Tonight doesn’t sound much different, though I must admit I don’t think it has quite the same appeal as its predecessor. Regardless, you can look out for the Fashionably Late EP to arrive on September 28, a project that will hopefully earn Donnis both a title and release date for his highly anticipated debut album with his new major label home Atlantic Records.
Written by Quentin Cuff on 09/13/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smoke n' Drive ft. Big Sean, Donnis & Jackie Chain" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.