Freestyle series alum, ATL fast-riser and country rhyme spitter Donnis is stepping back into the Booth with Tonight, a record off his Fashionably Late mixtape that’s now become an official single for his Fashionably Late EP. Produced by buzzing board master T-Minus, Tonight is a thumping ode to shutting down the strip in your respective city. Ok, so it’s not the most creative subject matter, but thankfully Donnis makes up for it with some interesting lyricism (check the Dru Hill reference) guaranteed to keep the party moving. The A-Town native has a knack for creating synth infused hip-hop party songs, his breakthrough Gone got play everywhere from the trendiest clubs to the most ghetto spots, and Tonight doesn’t sound much different, though I must admit I don’t think it has quite the same appeal as its predecessor. Regardless, you can look out for the Fashionably Late EP to arrive on September 28, a project that will hopefully earn Donnis both a title and release date for his highly anticipated debut album with his new major label home Atlantic Records.
Written by Quentin Cuff on 09/13/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smoke n' Drive ft. Big Sean, Donnis & Jackie Chain" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.