Freestyle series alum, ATL fast-riser and country rhyme spitter Donnis is stepping back into the Booth with Tonight, a record off his Fashionably Late mixtape that’s now become an official single for his Fashionably Late EP. Produced by buzzing board master T-Minus, Tonight is a thumping ode to shutting down the strip in your respective city. Ok, so it’s not the most creative subject matter, but thankfully Donnis makes up for it with some interesting lyricism (check the Dru Hill reference) guaranteed to keep the party moving. The A-Town native has a knack for creating synth infused hip-hop party songs, his breakthrough Gone got play everywhere from the trendiest clubs to the most ghetto spots, and Tonight doesn’t sound much different, though I must admit I don’t think it has quite the same appeal as its predecessor. Regardless, you can look out for the Fashionably Late EP to arrive on September 28, a project that will hopefully earn Donnis both a title and release date for his highly anticipated debut album with his new major label home Atlantic Records.
Written by Quentin Cuff on 09/13/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smoke n' Drive ft. Big Sean, Donnis & Jackie Chain" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.