Many will remember Donnis as the “dirty, dirty South,” representative on Unstoppable (Regional Remix), a cut that met with largely positive reviews when it hit our front page last week. Now, the up-and-comer’s back in the Booth with his first solo feature, an uptempo record that sees him sippin’ on gin and juice as he details just how a Party Works down in A-town. Flaunting his impeccable taste in cars, liquor, and women, Donnis doesn’t stray too far from the party-rap formula, but the emcee’s rapid-fire delivery invests the tried-and-true subject matter with an exuberance that’s hard to resist. The Trackoholics take a less conventional route on the instrumental tip, pairing some surprisingly tension-fraught piano chords with striking background vocals and, of course, a generous dash of bass-booming percussion. An intoxicating cut sure to take root in listeners’ heads after a spin or two, Party Works, is set for inclusion on the artist’s forthcoming, self-titled LP, which has yet to receive a solid release date.
Listen to More: Donnis
Written by richard on 03/23/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smoke n' Drive ft. Big Sean, Donnis & Jackie Chain" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)